Friday, August 12, 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Newly Learned

Wondering what it's like in on Guam (that's what you say, since it is an island)?  Being that I've only been here a month, I can only really validly give you my first impressions.  While first impressions do count for a lot, I've also learned over time that they aren't always correct.  Let's just hope the good stay good and the bad....well, they can just do what they will with themselves.  Here goes nothing....The good, the bad and the newly learned:

  • It certainly isn't big, but it's big enough.
  • The people are very friendly.
  • You can see water from just about anywhere, and the beaches, tropical jungles and water itself are beautiful.
  • It reminds me of Mexico in a lot of ways.
  • The people are very proud of their heritage and culture.
  • The locals are some of the nicest people I've ever met....I already said that, didn't I?
  • Every car on the island must have a ding, scrape, dent or other impairment of some sort.
  • Most things are way overpriced, including cars.
  • The weather is hot and humid, although I don't find it to be overly hot.
  • You can get sunburned walking to your mailbox.
  • My hair hates it.
  • I've had the pleasure of visiting the biggest KMart in the world, the Micronesian Mall and the Home Depot on island.  All that's left is Ross.  Hey, that's more than we had in Niceville, FL.
  • It takes forever to drive anywhere because the top speed limit is 45 mph.
  • The sunsets are amazing.
  • Snorkeling is fabulous!  The island is surrounded by reefs.
  • I think I've seen just about every Nemo character while snorkeling, minus Bruce, although my friend, Nancy, saw a shark while we were snorkeling.  The rest of us missed it.
  • Coral reefs do not feel good on the legs or hands.
  • Chickens and boonie dogs....might need to learn to love them.
  • Brown tree snakes...wasn't sure they really existed until I spotted one in a trap.  Yes, there are traps everywhere.
  • Just like Jamestown, we are on island time, and I'm pretty sure it suits me fine (most of the time...at least for now).
  • I like it here and think you should come visit.
Ask me again in a few months, and I may have a different story to tell, but I have to say that life is good here so far.   Good night, good morning, farewell, hafa adai wherever you are!

1 comment:

  1. I'd say that's pretty spot on! And I had to laugh about living on vs in Guam. Obviously my blog was created before I was aware of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete