Thursday, October 27, 2011

Boonie Stompin'


Boonie stomping, aka hiking, is sort of like a rite of passage on Guam.  It's just one of those things you have to do, mainly because there's not much else to do, but more importantly because there is no better way to explore Guam's beauty.  So, I went on my first official boonie stomp last Thursday.  I joined a group of ladies at Ritidian Point, which is near Andersen AFB at the northern most tip of the island.  It was a beautiful Guam day, and we were given a very informative tour by a park ranger named Ms. Emily.  If you can get past all of the pictures to the end, you will read about the most interesting part of the day.

Ms. Emily

Our group

Here's a few shots from the beginning of our hike/tour...

Cool painted coconuts in the visitor's center

Dead brown tree snake

Here's the point...isn't it gorgeous?

Looking up through the trees of the jungle,
asking the Taotaomona permission to enter

Once on our hike, we saw some amazing caves and encountered an unexpected sight...well, two, actually, but I thought you probably wouldn't want to see a picture of a dead baby pig.

If you can see the holes in the limestone/coral--
those were used for grinding, like a pestle and mortar.

About to enter a cave

Always love seeing a boar skull

Stalagtites/Stalagmites...I don't know
the difference.
I'm sure my oldest daughter could tell me.

Huge toad

Cycad tree...I remember studying these in Botany.
They are prehistoric in nature.

Standing stone


More cave

Then we saw some ancient cave art and fossils, since this area used to be under water and part of a reef....

Handprint

Turtles



More turtles

Antlers

Fossils

More art
This was our reward:

 
  Ritidian Beach

So, the hike was beautiful, but I made a few mistakes beforehand.  First, I did not eat breakfast, but I quickly downed a Clif Bar on the 45 minute drive to the place.  Secondly, I did not have caffeine that morning.  I don't drink coffee, but I always have a Diet Coke (or 2 or 3).  I was out of DC that morning.  I had plenty of water, thanks to my new Camelback, but that apparently didn't matter.  I ended up with a killer headache towards the end of the hike, which quickly turned into a migraine. 

Well, as I rode in the backseat of a friend's car, with 3 other ladies aboard, I started to feel not quite right.  That's when the barforama happened with almost no warning.  Luckily, we were able to pull over before I spewed all over my new friend's car (she may not want to be my friend now).  I don't throw up.  I'll do anything to not throw up.  I hadn't vomited since 2003.  Check out my feelings regarding vomiting here.  Ladies that were in that car, I owe you all BIG.  These girls were so good about it and taking care of me.  If it were me in the spot next to me, I would have been throwing up, too.  Thank goodness for good and caring friends.  Needless to say, I came to terms with the fact that: 1) I am WAY too addicted to caffeine.  2) I have to eat brekkie (I already knew this, but it has to be something more substantial than a bar).  3)  I will never eat another Clif Bar.

Once I made it home, I spent the rest of the day in bed, thanks to the help of my husband and friends.  Please let my next boonie stomp be memorable for a reason other than me barfing. 










3 comments:

  1. oh my ....I feel your pain.
    My first boonie stomp was a little bit of an adventure too.

    Secondly, I have migraine trouble -
    and sometimes (*but not always) in relation to caffeine -
    or the lack thereof.

    If you don't have migraine meds...
    I am a fan of Excedrin - (sp?) which has caffeine in it.

    Lastly, if you are going cold turkey off your caffeine -
    prepare yourself with TONS of water the night before,
    and a couple days of detox.

    I go back and forth with my addiction.

    I'm glad you got out to meet some of the ladies and STOMP around....
    The memory of it all will be better as time passes. Trust me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you go sick but I HAVE to know... did you put your hands on the Standing Stone to try to meet Jamie Frasier???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Lori! Take care of yourself. But it does look like you saw lots of interesting things.

    ReplyDelete